A sports hall of fame to honor men and women from Michigan's Upper Peninsula was a dream for many years. It had been talked about often in the '50s and '60s.
The U.P. Sportswriters Association, forerunner of the current U.P. Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association, got as far as organizing a committee in 1960 to investigate the project.
Each year all Upper Peninsula High Schools can nominate 1 female and 1 male student athlete for the U.P. Sports Hall of Fame scholarship. Each year 2 female and 2 male student athletes are selected as winners. The scholarship is $500 per year, for 4 years or $2,000 total for each winner.
* Indicates that due to a full basketball scholarship, NCAA rules do not allow players to accept UPSHF scholarships.
- * Lexi Gussert – Crystal Falls
- Megan Chapman – Westwood
- Callie Jensen – Gladstone
- Jeremy Bell – Negaunee
- Corban Ryan – Manistique
1. The secretary will provide all members of the Hall of Fame Council with copies of all nominations at least two weeks prior to the annual selection meeting.
2. No member of the Council shall be permitted to vote for Hall of Fame members by absentee ballot. All ballots must be cast in person at the Hall of Fame election meeting.