Called by some "the greatest Panther ever," Dave Besonen had a stellar career as the point guard for Ewen Trout Creek from 1979-1982. A dead-eye marksman from the field, he averaged an amazing 31.5 points a game in his senior season with a field goal percentage of 58%. He was also an incredible ball handler, passer and defensive specialist. In 1982, he led the Panthers to the State Final, only to be beaten by Covert in the highest scoring final game in history, 110-94. Besonen scored 38 points, which is the 9th highest tally by a player in a final game. Dave would go on to play basketball for the Michigan Tech Huskies.
A three-time 1st team all-conference player in both the Great Western and Porcupine Mountain conferences, Dave Besonen also accumulated the following honors and records:
- All U.P. Class D 1st team - three years
- State All-Class tournament team
- All-State Dream Team (All Class) - AP UPI, Detroit Free Press and Detroit News.
- Regional All Tournament team for three years
- Regional MVP 1982
- State All-Class Tournament Team
- Most point ever in one season by a U.P Player - 884 points in 1982.
- School record of 46 points against Lake Linden in 1982.
- Most points in two Regional games - 75 points.